Saturday, January 9, 2010

Resolute Resolutions

I guess a lot of people read this blog. I am not 100% sure. I started this blog almost 2 years ago so that Ry's family could keep up with all that we do. I didn't know that it would turn into what it has. (A bunch of hot air that some people find amusing.) So I guess I wanted to start off by thanking everyone for reading. I know that many of my family and friends having taken to stopping by and seeing what is pissing me off this week and that means a lot. Or you are just checking in to make sure that you are not the thing that is pissing me off this week. Either way, thanks.

2009 was a great year for me, as most of you know. Sera moved back to Utah. I had my first baby, Gabe-zilla. And Ryan made it safely back after 6 months of school in Mississippi. But as far as my 2009 resolutions, I tanked. I mean, I really failed to complete any of them in a truly spectacular manor. I wanted to go to the gym at least 2 times a week...nope. I wanted to read one book every month...not even close. I wanted to write some of my book at least once a week...there were times I didn't even work on it once a month. (No, you cannot read it yet!)

So with 2010 here I am going to try again. No excuses this time. I need to get off my ass and follow through. And I am posting it here, on my blog, so that I am more likely to at least try. With all my family and friends who read this, it will hold me more accountable. Are you ready Internet? Are you? I am not sure that you really are. Because here are my 2010 Resolutions!!!

1. I was told about a list called "25 Books to Read Before You're 25" and I had always meant to do this. And now that I am on my way 26 I figure, I can still get it done. And I am going to post the list so that if you wish, you can try and do it too.

1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
2. The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-DONE
4. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
5. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
6. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
7. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
9. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
10. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
11. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card-DONE
12. The Quiet American by Graham Greene
13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
14. The Stand by Stephen King-DONE
15. Animal Farm by George Orwell-DONE
16. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
17. Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
18. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck-DONE
19. The Crucible by Arthur Miller-DONE
20. Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn
21. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
22. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas-DONE
23. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain-DONE (A long time ago!)
24. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlossinger
25. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

2. Keep up with my blog on a more regular basis.
3. Go to the gym at least once a week.
4. Get my book at least half-way complete.
5. Go to church services twice a month.

And I am going to STOP right there. Know why? Because any more and I am going to look at that list and say, FORGET IT and go eat a package of Oreos. I really want to keep my resolutions this year. I cannot imagine how great I would feel about myself if I kept up on this.

As for Ryan, well I thought you might ask. His list includes:

1. Become less of a "fat fat fatty" by eating better & exercising more.
2. Not allowing copious amounts of laundry to hang out in our bedroom.
3. Clean up after pets better.
4. Go back to school by end of the year.
5. Be able to run 10 miles in one stretch
6. Finish transcribing Grandpa Jim's book

And for those of you who think number one on Ry's list is mean, HE SAID IT THAT WAY! I wrote it exactly how he said it. So don't go writing me saying "Of you're so mean!" or "Why would you say that about Ryan?" He wanted me to put it that way. Maybe he should add "Quit being so self-hating" on his list as well.

So there you go Internet. Now you can watch me tank this year too. Happy 2010 People!

No comments: