Thursday, August 21, 2008

Beijing 2008

Am I sports fan? Well based on how I look most people would say no but I am here to tell you, I LOVE SPORTS! I used to groan and complain when football season rolled around, now I wait on pins and needles. Watching Jazz games used to be equivalent for me of maybe going to the dentist. I hated to watch sports. Then I grew up a little and started to play basketball. And then in my teenage years Salt Lake was lucky enough to host the 2002 Winter Olympics. I think it is safe to say now, that I really enjoy watching sports and when I can, participating in them. And for me, the Olympics are the best sporting event EVER!

The 2008 Beijing Summer games have taken over my life! Every night I sit with Ryan or my family and watch ever event. I watch whatever is on! From gymnastics (GO NASTIA LIUKIN!), to diving, to basketball, and even some sports that I don’t the USA even have teams like handball and field hockey. I have immersed myself in these 2008 Olympic games.

I love the spirit of the Olympics. I love watching all the emotions that come with both winning and losing. I love all the personal stories of the athletes. Dara Torres, the 41-year-old swimmer that won not one, but three medals, is such an incredible person. She truly is what I would hope every athlete from the USA is. She is an incredible woman and I have enjoyed watching her journey. I hope she comes back in 2012 to London and kicks some more 16-year-old asses!

And who could be talking about the Beijing Olympics and not bring up Michael Phelps? Holy crap is that man amazing! I know that is arguable for whether or not he truly is the greatest Olympian of all time, but come on! If you want to look at total gold medals and at most gold medals won in a single Olympics, he is the best. Sure there are other factors that people will talk about but on that basis, and that one alone, Michael takes the cake! I think that there are arguments for other great Olympians but let’s let Michael have this moment…he has definitely earned it!

All in all, these Olympic games have been great and I am sad that they will soon be coming to an end. (Then what will I watch?) And my Dad put it so eloquently the other night when he said “I am glad that all of you kids have had the chance to be involved in sports. Sports really does help you become a more rounded human being.” And you know what Dad, I couldn’t agree more!

No comments: